JOIN OUR TEAM

What to Expect from the Cloud in 2017


David Eichkorn
Author: David Eichkorn Date: 01/26/2017

Nothing has disrupted the technology industry in the past few years quite like cloud computing, as it has been adopted by many different businesses to help them gain efficiencies and effectively store information. Although cloud computing has been a rapidly growing field since its onset, many experts agree that the market is entering a second wave as the technology continues to evolve.

Here are some of the top trends to watch in cloud computing for 2017:

Public Cloud

As business owners become more comfortable with the idea of cloud computing and realize security risks in the cloud are more minimal than they likely expected, more businesses will turn to a public cloud model. We will see the gradual disappearance of private cloud models in favor of public or hybrid cloud models from “mega-cloud providers” such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft, Google and IBM. Although some users may still be cautious about storing their data with a third-party vendor, the public cloud is generally much more cost-effective and advanced than a traditional IT infrastructure or even a private cloud.

Using Multiple Cloud Service Providers

As more organizations move over to the public cloud and become familiarized with different providers’ offerings, organizations will increasingly use multiple cloud service providers, and mix and match these different services and providers to fit their needs. Currently, not many people are dynamically moving workloads between cloud providers, but this is likely to change in 2017, as providers will offer competitive pricing and have different packages for varying needs. This way, business owners can have a more customized cloud solution.

In recent years, we have seen the introduction of cloud management and cloud monitoring services as a way to manage these different services effectively, so as the use of different providers increases, so too will these services.

Hyperconvergence 

Although many users will turn to the public cloud in 2017, for security and savings reasons, hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI) solutions will be a mainstay for those who decide to continue using a private cloud. Hyperconvergence is a type of infrastructure system supported by a single vendor that tightly integrates compute, storage, networking and virtualization resources.

The main advantages of HCI over a traditional model, other than the consolidation of different resources in a single entity, are increased operational efficiency and improved back-up and disaster recovery. Hyperconvergence has been one of the biggest trends in cloud computing in recent years, but is expected to be adopted by almost twice as many companies in 2017. HCI is currently a standard platform for supporting virtualization, providing the first 20% of the necessary integration and leaving the remaining 80% for users to do themselves. However, in the coming year, more advancements in HCI are expected, so HCI solutions can offer even more of the integration necessary for businesses.

While there will be many new trends in the cloud computing industry in 2017, switching over to the public cloud and using multiple service providers, or leveraging an HCI solution for a private cloud, will be some of the top trends. In a constantly evolving field that businesses have become more familiarized with, there are bound to be many more changes and improvements to come.

Interested in finding out how your organization could benefit from cloud computing? Contact the team of experts at the Gordon Flesch Company today!

Beginner's Guide to Cloud Computing Inforgraphic

Leave a Comment

Written by David Eichkorn

Throughout David's 20-year career in IT support and management for big and small enterprises, he’s helped executives all over the world. David implements technology in a way that allows it to be the driving factor in how an organization accomplishes its business goals.

Need More Information?

We’re ready – and eager – to help you solve your technology challenges.